Minister Leo Varadkar has disgracefully attacked the Defend Blanchardstown Hospital Campaign, that involves many hospital staff, claiming it is scaremongering and exaggerating about the threat to the hospital’s future. He dismisses the concerns of the doctors, nurses and staff.
Ruth Coppinger says, “It is Minister Varadkar who is scaremongering by attacking the motives of the Campaign. It is due the work of the Defend Blanchardstown Hospital Campaign over the last months that the threat to cut the A&E to a 12-hour service has been lifted.
The catalogue of cuts below, shows that there is a serious threat to our hospital. We must defend this vital and necessary facility for our expanding community”
The real facts:
- €20 million in cuts since 2009.
- Recently announced – twelve surgical beds closing in Laurel Ward.
- Threat to cut the 24 hour A&E to 12 hours only lifted due to pressure created by the campaign.
- 16 beds axed in surgical day ward which will cut day surgery drastically.
- Day surgeries to be reduced from 30 to 40 a day to just 10 to 13.
- Operations will be cancelled and waiting lists will grow. Fewer beds will mean more patients on trollies and on chairs.
- Doctors, nurses, household staff and hospital services will be stretched “to a level that is no longer safe”.
- Not scaremongering – Connolly Hospital in serious danger as cuts to get worse.