Emergency action to tackle unemployment
- Don’t make the unemployed wait or feel like rubbish – end the delays in processing social welfare claims. Hire the necessary extra staff so claims are processed speedily.
- Jobs not dole – for the guaranteed right of everyone to a decent job.
- Reduce the working week to 35 hours, without any loss of pay, to create jobs and boost the economy.
- Invest in a massive public development programme to provide the much needed facilities and infrastructure like schools, hospitals and public transport and in so doing create tens of thousands of new jobs.
- Nationalise the banks, construction companies and all other major companies threatening job cuts or closure, under democratic control and management by working people.
- For an economic plan that puts the interests of ordinary working people before the profits of the few.