News & Analysis

Brexit: Oppose capitalist EU with workers’ solidarity

By Kevin Henry The referendum on Britain and Northern Ireland’s membership of the EU is set to be an important political event that will shape political developments in Britain, Ireland and across Europe in the years to come. Socialists want to see a Europe that is run in the interests of the millions not the millionaires. The EU project constitutes ...

Read More »

Childcare costs: End the burden of a “second mortgage”

By Emma Quinn Childcare in Ireland is simply unattainable for many working class women and particularly women raising children alone or on low incomes. For families that can or struggle to afford it, monthly childcare costs are a second mortgage. Highest costs in Europe According to the OECD Ireland has the highest cost for childcare in the EU. A crèche ...

Read More »

Momentum for abortion rights grows- Repeal the 8th now!

By Monika Janas The general election has come and gone and the 8th Amendment is still here, in case you were wondering. Warm and cosy in the constitution where it has the power to strip women of their bodily autonomy and make them into incubators. Despite this, the mood has shifted. Pro-choice sentiment grows Political parties are finding it more ...

Read More »

Stampede of non-payment can finish off Irish Water

By Mick Barry TD Support for the boycott of water charges is set to surge in the aftermath of the general election increasing pressure on any potential government to abolish both the charge and Irish Water itself. Pressure on political establishment Water charges became a major issue in the election with pro-water charges parties shocked by the depth of feeling ...

Read More »

Replace Labour with a real Left

By Cllr.­ Cian Prendiville The Labour Party was founded by socialists such as Connolly and Larkin to give an independent political voice for workers, women and young people in the fight against the super-rich and their political puppets. It has not only broken every election promise and breached every principle, it has betrayed the very purpose for which it was ...

Read More »

Sinn Féin’s message fails to inspire

By Finghín Kelly Many of those voting Sinn Féin in the recent election did so in the belief that the party represented a challenge to the status quo and the establishment. After the election Gerry Adams even made the claim that Sinn Féin were “the main party representing working people”. Accepting neo-liberalism In the debate about ‘fiscal space’ Sinn Féin ...

Read More »

This rotten system must go- Join the socialists today

By Laura Fitzgerald “Accumulation of wealth at one pole is… at the same time accumulation of misery, agony of toil, slavery, ignorance, brutality, mental degradation, at the opposite pole” – Karl Marx The richest 1% global elite own more wealth than the other 99% of the world’s population. Let’s reflect on that for a moment. There has never, in the ...

Read More »

Mental health crisis- Action needed now

By Ciaran Mulholland Our health care system is in crisis. This is most clearly illustrated by the many hundreds waiting on trolleys in Accident and Emergency Departments every weekend, and by the long waiting lists for planned surgery. Another aspect of the crisis is the poor service received by those with mental health conditions such as depression. Lacks of services ...

Read More »

Establishment parties hit a wall of anger – political crisis looms

By Cillian Gillespie and Ruth Coppinger TD “It is clear that, as James Connolly said a hundred years ago: “the day has passed for patching up the capitalist system; it must go”. We need democratic public control and ownership of wealth and resources if society is to be run for people’s needs, not profit.” These were the words of Socialist ...

Read More »