“Class warfare is going on and my class isn’t just winning. I mean we’re killing them”
– World’s third richest man, Warren Buffet, October 2011
- Eurozone crisis means austerity for workers, young people and the unemployed, while private financial institutions get bailed out to the tune of billions.
- The total cost of the bailout of Anglo-Irish bank will be €65 billion. Anglo bondholders have assets worth over €20 trillion, more than 200 times the size of the Irish economy.
- Today Europe’s super-rich have a combined wealth of €8 trillion, this is more than twice the size of Germany – Europe’s largest economy.
- In Ireland the richest 300 people alone have a combined wealth of €57 billion, while big business made €30 billion worth of un-invested profits last year.
- In Greece soaring unemployment, tax increases and other austerity measures have resulted in a sharp rise in homelessness, drug addiction and suicide.
- This coming Friday the Socialist Party has organised a public meeting with Andros Payiatsos a Greek socialist and activist.
- Andros will give a flavour of the growing upheavals in Greece and the lessons that these momentous events have for ordinary people in Ireland.
Come to the public meeting
Friday, 2 December, 7.30pm, Teachers Club, Parnell Sq, Dublin
Saturday, 3 December 3.30pm, Metropole Hotel, MacCurtain St, Cork